Recently, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) has offered postponement of certain duties, taxes, and fees for 90 days for importers who have suffered significant financial hardship as a result of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) and the government imposed limiting commerce, travel, or group meetings. We have prepared the following information including important links relating to this directive.
Is my company eligible?
- Importers who can justify that the financial impact due to COVID19 has resulted in a hardship and that the gross revenue received during the period of March 13-31, 2020 or April 2020 are less than 60 percent of the gross receipts for the comparable period in 2019 can request postponement.
Are my imports eligible?
- Postponement of duties, taxes, and fees will only apply to entries containing goods that are NOT subject to Anti-dumping and Countervailing Duties or Section 201, 232, and 301 (including China Tariffs), duties.
How can I signup for postponement of duties?
- An eligible importer does not need to file documentation with CBP to be eligible for this relief. However, importers must maintain documentation as part of its books and records establishing that it meets the requirements for relief. CBP may conduct a review of the documentation at a future date to ensure compliance with the requirements.
- Once your company has determined that it is eligible please review and complete the attached Certification and return to our office as soon as possible
For additional information regarding the 90 day postponement of duty payments please find the links below.
- Customs and Border Protection press release: https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/national-media-release/treasury-and-cbp-announce-deferment-duties-and-fees-certain
- Temporary Final Rule: https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/assets/documents/2020-Apr/Temporary-Postponement-of-Payment-Period%20for-DTF-20-4-2020-1.pdf
- CSMS 42423171 COVID-19 – 90 Day Postponement of Payment for the Deposit of Certain Estimated Duties, Taxes, and Fees: https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/USDHSCBP/bulletins/2875383
- CSMS 42421561 COVID-19 – Payment Instructions for 90-Day Postponement of Payment for the Deposit of Certain Estimated Duties, Taxes, and Fees:https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/USDHSCBP/bulletins/2874d3
TIP – ACH Payments can ensure compliance with payment requirements.
- In an effort to support our customers during this crisis, Worldwide Logistics is promoting the use of ACH payments directly to Customs. ACH payments can ensure timely payment of Customs duties and fees and reduce the change of penalties due to error or lack of payment.
Worldwide Logistics is committed to assisting importers through this unprecedented time and hope you and your families remain safe. Please contact us for more information.